Client: National Grid
Project Duration: 21 weeks
The works comprised of the demolition of 2nr. Below ground gas holders (55 metres in diameter and 12 metres deep), removal of filming oil, dewatering and removal of residual sludge; together with decommissioning and removal of telecoms switch gear room, electrical substation, gas booster housing and associated overhead pipework.
Project Constraints & Challenges:
- Works immediately adjacent to the river Goyt
- Working around and protection of live low-pressure gas mains
- Coordination and liaison with main contractor Balfour Beatty working within the site boundaries
- Working collaboratively with eth Environment Agency to agree to monitor dewatering flow rates
- Fully compliant with National Grids Risk Management and Health & Safety protocols
- Maintaining the integrity and stability of the dumplings during demolition operations
- Zero hot woks, all holders were removed using mechanical deconstruction methods only
- Successful logistics and programme coordination with numerous third parties including the Environment Agency, Canal River Trust, Balfour Beatty, Cadent and other utility providers.